Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hot Water Heater

I won't go into the details of our recent adventure of having a new hot water heater installed, but there are two interesting things I thought you'd enjoy.

First, you must understand that our hot water heater is mounted in our kitchen cabinet and is connected to a large propane tank similar to what you use with your gas grills, which is located under the kitchen sink. Sounds a little dangerous, huh?!

Well, after our landlord's husband finally got everything for the new water heater hooked up - gas and water hoses - he decided he wanted to do a test to make sure there were no gas leaks. Know what he did? As if the whole setup isn't dangerous enough . . . he waved the flame starter thing (with open flame) all around the water heater and connected hoses! Mark took a few steps back, and I said a quick prayer. Thankfully, there were no leaks!

The following day we were having trouble with the new water heater, so a repairman came by. There was a leak from the water hose connected to it. He sealed it really tight, made a few other adjustments, and left. Mark told me that the stuff he sealed the water hose with looked like hair. So curious me had to see for myself. Sure enough, when I held the strands I pulled out to the light, it glistened like real hair! Today we found out from some friends that it is most definitely hair - it's commonly used to seal pipes/hoses in plumbing. We have no idea what kind of hair, but it seems to be dirty blonde! :-)

No comments: