Monday, June 15, 2009

Well Wishes

I recently attended an afternoon tea with a group of women I regularly meet with for tea. At the end of our time together they presented me with an ice cream carton filled with 4 things . . . eggs, sugar cubes, a large piece of cotton, and a few pieces of one of the finger foods we had eaten together. These all symbolize wishes they have for Nathan . . .

eggs - life and health
sugar cubes - a sweet life
cotton - a long life (This was placed up to his chin so that it looked like an old man's beard as they explained it to me.)
food - a blessed life

These are all things traditionally presented to a new mother and her child when a period of 40 days is over and they begin visiting with others together. My personal favorite was the cotton - especially the way they put it up to his face like a beard and said "May he have a long life, like a grandfather." I wish I had thought to take a picture!

1 comment:

Laura Ledford said...

That is SO sweet!