Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Local advice . . .

I'd love to know if any of you have ever heard these same tidbits of advice . . .

Don't let wind blow towards the baby - he'll get sick.
Don't dress a baby with only one layer of clothes - he'll get sick, especially if he's sweaty.
Don't put the baby too close to the floor - he'll get cold and sick.
Don't let the baby's feet get cold - it will cause gas.
Don't let the mother's feet get cold - it will cause the mother to get gas, which will pass on to the baby.
Feed the baby every 10 minutes if he cries every 10 minutes. (They can't stand the fact that we have Nathan on a feeding schedule.)
Don't try to sit the baby upright before he's 3 months old.
Don't pat the baby's back to burp him - you could hurt his back.
In order to help jaundice go away, wrap the baby in a yellow blanket.
To keep evil/bad luck away from the baby, the mother should wear something red.

When people come visit they often bring a container of fruit juice. The reason is so that the mother's milk will be plentiful. When they bring a plate of food to us, they say the same thing "Eat this so your milk will be plentiful." I was even told to eat chocolate today to help my milk remain plentiful. And a (male) friend of Mark's made a list of veggies, fruits, and herbs that would help my milk remain abundant. We thought it was funny that he was giving advice on this topic!

Oh, I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but maybe those tidbits give you a taste of the kinds of advice we get daily.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I have heard that if a baby's feet are cold, they have a belly ache... which is kinda close to cold feet = gas. :)