Monday, April 6, 2009

Jello Soup

It seems there's never a shortage of food stories. Here's my most recent kitchen funny.

Last night we invited a friend and her mom over for tea. Another ex-pat friend and I decided that she would make a salty thing to serve and I would make something sweet. And to make a typical size dessert plate full (as is the custom here) I also decided to make a fruity jello thing that could be served in individual serving size bowls.

I made my muffins, and they turned out perfect! Before I mixed the muffins I got the jello made and poured into the bowls. I had a few kiwi left and decided I would put the kiwi in the jello to make it prettier. I let the jello sit a little before adding the kiwi and then put it into the fridge, hoping it would set in the next 3 hours. I opened the fridge to check it after about 2 hours and found that it was still just as liquidy as it was 2 hours before. Since I had goofed up on a jello recipe during the holidays (added too much water) I decided I would reread the directions on the box (for about the 3rd time). I thought I had read all the important stuff, but when I dug the box out of the garbage I found that I had actually only read the How To directions. You would think that's all I needed to read. However, just for the sake of being thorough I decided to read everything else on the back of the box. Guess what I found . . . a warning . . . guess what it said . . . kiwi and pineapple keep the jello from jelling!!! So I knew at that point there would be no pretty jello salad to serve to our guests.

When I explained this story to our guests my friend suggested (with a grin) that I drink it as jello soup. I just finished a bowl of it . . . not bad. It turned out kind of like kool-aid with slices of kiwi floating around in it - very refreshing!

No comments: