In the year that we've been overseas, food has been the topic of LOTS of conversations and has been center stage in quite a few of our blog posts. Well, I must say that since my appetite has returned, food is once again something I'm spending lots of time thinking about. So I thought I would share with you some of the All-American favorites we've savored in recent days.
Vegetable soup and cornbread ("straight out of the oven" hot with butter).
"Pulled" (more like chicken in a pot that just fell apart) BBQ chicken sandwiches. (I even made coleslaw to go with!)
Spaghetti with a really meaty sauce. (Here, what they call spaghetti sauce is a watered down very bland tomato sauce - not even marinara.)
No-bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Some of you may remember that in a previous post I mentioned really wanting a Big Mac. I was hoping to stop at the closest McD's on a recent trip, but since we had to travel by bus, I could only wave (and maybe drool a little) as we bumped past it. No worries, though . . . one of our local grocery stores has started selling Thousand Island Dressing!!! I've decided to make my own version of the Big Mac - the Melissa Mini Mac! I'll have to let you know how that goes.
We got a special care package this week from some folks that we've never even met, and you wouldn't believe all the goodies they packed for us to enjoy!!! The most exciting treats were candy corn, a can of pumpkin, and a gingerbread scented candle. We got a little taste of fall in a bag!!!
Well, now with all that talk of food, I just might have to go find a snack (if I can keep my eyelids open long enough - it's Sun. afternoon nap time here!). Happy snacking to you, too!!!
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment