Thursday, July 10, 2008

Was that what I thought it was?!

So today while sitting at the computer, like I'm doing right now, I began to feel a swaying motion. It was a little like being in slow motion, and there were three distinct "waves" of movement. At the first one, Mark and I turned simultaneously and looked at each other. As the second and third passed, we looked around the room to see what else was moving. Was it just us . . . or was it the building? Our hanging light fixture was swaying a bit, too. Well, we went to our trusty "most recent earthquake" website a few minutes later and found that there had been a decent sized earthquake in our general vicinity. Now don't let this scare you . . . there was no damage, no power outages, or any other really horrible thing you may be associating with an earthquake in your mind right now. This is the second one I've felt since we moved here 9 months ago, but they actually occur all around us on at least a weekly basis, some weeks on a daily basis. Typically they are very minor and undetected by people. The first one I felt (a few weeks ago) was so brief that I wasn't even sure I had really felt it. It was more like something I had imagined. In fact, I was so unsure of it, I didn't even mention it to Mark. Then, in our language class that night, our teacher asked us if we felt it.

It is quite an interesting sensation, feeling the building you're in sway. It kind of makes your insides feel like they're moving around a little, too. Strange!

Anyway . . . just thought I'd share about an experience we're learning to recognize in our new home.

No comments: