Well, maybe it was just wishful thinking when I told you that watermelons cost about 40cents here. I learned today that those signs don't mean 40cents for one watermelon - they mean 40cents for one kilogram. Still that's not too bad - that's 40cents for just over 2 pounds! Anyway . . . just wanted to clear that up. It seems that after going to the open bazaar so many times I would know how to read those silly cardboard signs!!
Oh yeah, on that same note . . . just thought I would tell you that I bought 1 kg (about 2 lbs) of tomatoes for about 50 cents. This time, my math is right, I'm sure!
I've also learned that seedless grapes aren't really seedless here. That was quite a surprise the first time I bit into a juicy round white grape that I bought in a package of "seedless" grapes! So here's my question for all of you . . . what's the best way to eat a grape with seeds? And what can you do with them besides eat and spit the seeds out? And if there are things that can be done with them, how do you remove the skins and seeds so that there's enough grape left to do something with??? Please pass along any ideas you have!
Here's a new summer recipe for all of you chefs: If you like salads like I do, maybe you'll like this variety of potato salad . . . Be forewarned, it's not very exact. I watched my friend here make it, and there was no measuring involved at all, so take the idea of it and experiment!!
a few potatoes (cooked and mashed - not whipped with a mixer, just mashed)
a couple (or 3 or 4) medium sized cucumbers (peeled and grated)
a couple (or more) cloves of garlic (crushed, mashed, grated - take your pick)
equal parts mayo and plain yogurt (however much you want to taste)
Add a little salt and pepper. Mix it all up. Chill it in the fridge for a little while. Voila! A new twist on potato salad!!! If you decide to try it, let me know how it goes!
Side note: To cook potatoes here for mashed potatoes or potato salad, the potatoes are cooked whole, peeling on, until soft. Then they cool the potatoes so that they can be handled, and the peeling is peeled off the potato. Although I've done it both ways, I haven't decided which is the fastest or easiest yet . . . peeling and cutting up by hand first or peeling by hand after cooking. What do you think?
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We've gotten some seedless grapes here. They are the really small ones. They are kind of sour though.
Use a press to squeeze the grapes (and catch the seeds). It makes delicious grapejuice. But it takes a lot of grapes to get much juice!
Another option- have seed spitting contests with M.
Post a Comment