Monday, January 21, 2008

What's happening to my brain?

While attempting to learn a foreign language, I've noticed a few strange things happening in my mind . . .

1. I sometimes dream in this foreign language. Weird, huh?
2. I often can't think of words I know I've learned in this foreign language.
3. I sometimes can't think of words in English.
4. I sometmes can't think of what a word would translate into English, even when it looks and sounds basically the same as its English counterpart.

Let me give you an example of number 4 . . . Today I received an email from a new local friend (in her native language, of course). I tried and tried to translate this little one and a half line message, and I got stuck on one sentence. I couldn't find the words in the dictionary, so I decided to call an English-speaking friend to help. When I called there happened to be 4 English speakers at her house (and 3 out of the four also know this foreign language). I read the sentence to her and she repeated it for the others. They translated most of the words, but there was one word that no one could figure out. We all discussed it, and the only thing they could come up with was that it was the name of a specific place downtown my friend wanted to meet at. Well, after several minutes of discussion, it dawned on me that the word is an abbreviation of the word internet. Now, how many English-speakers should it take to figure that out?! It was so obvious!!

So there you go . . . I guess these brains of ours can only hold so much before they start to sift out the old to make room for the new!!

No comments: