So it would seem that by now I would have learned not to eat something without first knowing what it's made of, right? Well, it seems I haven't quite learned that lesson.
A couple of weeks ago, while sitting in a local restaurant, trying to decide what we wanted to eat, I decided to ask what kinds of soup were available. I really like the soups served over here, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I asked the waitress what kinds of soup were being served that day, and she gave me two names. I didn't really understand the first, so I asked for the second even though I had never heard of it before.
As usual, my soup was brought out before our other food or drinks. I was going to wait until my sandwich came out to start eating, but the waitress came by and asked if there was something wrong with the soup since I hadn't started eating it yet. I explained that it was fine and started eating it.
My very first impression was that it was pretty bland. It lacked salt and any other flavor. It tasted starchy, like rice that had been cooked too long or stirred too much, and it had little bits of white stuff in it that also looked like rice. I added some salt and ate a little bread with it, and although it was still pretty bland, I managed to eat it all.
The next day, we were talking with some friends about our experience at the restaurant (as there had been a few misunderstandings with our order), and they asked me what kind of soup I had. When I told them the name of the soup, the first thing out of their mouths was, "Gross!! You know what you ate don't you?!" Well, of course, I had no idea. They went on to explain that the soup I had eaten is made of water and little bits of cooked cow stomach!!!!
Needless to say, I won't be ordering that soup anymore!! But who knows what I might end up ordering the next time my hungry stomach and inquisitive spirit outwit my better judgment!
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm curious which "m" wrote this--and ate the soup!
Post a Comment