Living in the first floor apartment that is located right beside the main entrance to our building can often be a little frustrating. Our bedroom is directly beside the door, so when our neighbors come in and go out after we've already gone to bed, we often hear the door slam, their hard bottomed shoes tapping on the marble steps, and/or their conversations with folks on the doorbell intercom. Sometimes taking a nap in the afternoon is impossible if there are a lot of people coming and going.
Well, last night we got into bed about midnight. We noticed shortly thereafter that our power blinked off and back on a couple of times. Then we started hearing all of these voices in the building lobby or just outside the door. We couldn't tell which. Mark was trying to peek out of our window (without being spotted) to see who it was. He couldn't tell who it was. He climbed back into bed, and just as we got settled back down to try to get to sleep, our doorbell started ringing. We ignored the first time, but then it rang again and again. Mark went to the window again to see who it was, and he saw that it was some of our neighbors. I thought maybe when the power blinked off the power to the door opener thing quit working and they needed to be let back in. So we decided to answer the door. When I got to the bathroom to get my robe, I heard my neighbor tapping our door saying my name. She sounded worried, so I, as quickly as possible, opened the door. I wish I could have captured the looks on their faces when they saw me in my pajamas and bathrobe!! (Apparently they didn't know we were already in the bed and seemed quite embarrassed about having disturbed us.) They asked if we were OK several times, and I assured them that we were fine. Then they asked if we were scared. I told them no, but I wasn't sure what they thought we would be scared of. I asked them what had happened, and they all started talking about the apartment building across the street. All I understood was the word for fire, but that word also has a few different meanings depending on how it's used. Again I assured them we were OK, and they told us (with looks of embarrassment on their faces) to go back inside.
Now, after all that, we still have NO idea what that was all about!! And we may never know. The good thing is that we have neighbors who care enough about us to ring our doorbell and knock on our door to make sure we're OK at 12:30 at night, even if something happened without our knowing it!
Monday, March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment